I don't want anyone mistaking that everything is hunky dorey over here! That we have moved our boys into their new room and little man in his new big boy bed without any glitches....isn't it funny how things look so good sometimes on paper? The reality of it is it's been the hardest week of my life!!! I'm usually a very consistent, strict with a plan type mom when it comes to my kids and any type change but I've decided something this week. You know when they have a person designated to question a criminal and his actual job is to "break" him? I'm thinking they should just get a two year old in there (especially in the middle of the night - very easy breakage then!) and have them scream and cry until they can't take anymore!
Every night has been difficult getting the boys down which I had anticipated. They both have different bedtime routines and one sleeps to a sound machine while one sleeps to music and a fan. They are used to one on one time with mommy and daddy before we lay them down and now they are sharing us....I realize their routine has been rocked! But then you throw a strong willed child in there which is very different from my oldest and I am thrown for a loop! Never have I seen a child who will just continuously get out of his bed! And I don't usually lose my cool in front of my kids - they don't see me cry alot but this week they've seen me crying on the phone almost everyday to daddy (or anyone who will listen!!!) Why is this so hard? Then I start doubting myself - maybe we shouldn't have moved them together, is the oldest sad and miserable that he's sharing a room now, will the youngest ever adjust to his big new bed, and on and on....more questions than I can mention.
So last night (night 4) took an hour and a half to get them down which do I even have to tell you is exhausting? Little man kept saying crib like he wanted to go back in it so I finally was like "fine, if you want to be a baby and go back in your crib....GREAT!" well, of course then he didn't want to....I asked him crib or big boy bed and he chose big boy bed! So I'm thinking we are getting somewhere right? I calmly said "if you are going to be a big boy, then you need to be quiet and go to sleep - your brother is not coming in here until you can lay down and be quiet". He really wants his brother in there so he did FINALLY stay in his bed and go down....UNTIL 1:00 AM!!!!!
At which time he preceeded to get out of his bed probably ten times between 1-3 AM....mind you all the time we are trying not to wake the oldest up! So daddy finally went and put him in the crib at 3 and we let him cry and he did finally go to sleep - which we all desperately needed. I'm convinced you can't think clearly when you are lacking sleep! So now I don't know what to do....Any advice would be great!!!!
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never had this problem, but I will try to help. Andrew is probably afraid to go to sleep alone in the room. Try changing the bed time and put both down at same time. If he wakes up in the night, put a little hook latch on the door so he can't get out. If Lawson is like most kids, he will sleep right through the clammer. If all else fails, go back to crib for a day or two and try again. His daddy was never a problem, so I really haven't had to deal with it. Just be patient, it will all work out.
ReplyDeletelove you,
granny
Oh Christy....what a pain! I wish I had advice, but I really don't know because I haven't dealt with it yet! Maybe you could just put him back in his crib for a few nights and see how he reacts. Or maybe he goes to his big boy bed, and then if he gets up he goes straight to the crib where he can just cry all he wants and go to sleep. At least you know baby 3 won't be here for a while, so if he's in the crib on and off for another month or more, he isn't on someone else's turf yet! Ugh....get some sleep and let me know what you do! I'll learn from you! I was going to try Molly in a big bed probably at the beginning of the new year.
ReplyDeleteFr more than a year now I have agreed with grandparnets & babysitters who say "Leah was great tonight! She did her little routine and then went to bed with no problems at all." Well my friend, those days are over! We're in a phase of our own-the I DON'T WANT TO phase. And especially & nap & bedtime. So we'll just muddle through this together and at 10 o'clock when they do finally fall asleep, we will all pray that they stay there! I'm with ya. Hang in there...no turning back. You are the mommy & you're in charge.(keep saying that) hahahaha ":)
ReplyDelete