We were exhausted - you start to doubt yourselves as parents! I mean, we've done this before and you'd think we had NO IDEA how to potty train! Our two children are seriously just that different!
So this morning, as with every Sunday morning, it's only through the will of God that we make it to church. Does every mom feel this way? Trying to get everyone up and dressed....the four year old is complaining he doesn't want to go to church, the two year old is about to poop his pants so we've got him sitting on the potty....yet AGAIN! So when we finally get there and get the kids in their classes and finally sit down, I feel so drained, to say the least. Plus I sat down this morning bringing everything from the week with me leaving me not only drained but broken and defeated.
My husband and I started this thing (not even purposely) when we were dating that whenever a prayer was said whether before a meal, at small group or at church, we always reach for each other's hand. It's so great because now it's not even thought about and it actually feels weird if he's not there during a prayer to hold my hand. But this morning, when we both sit down exhausted and doubting ourselves and constantly debating with each other on what we should do - the prayer starts and it's such a small thing but holding hands connects us no matter where we are at that moment -we know we are together....we are on the same page and whatever it is that we're facing, we are going to get through it together...so comforting. ("A chord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12)
I was anxious to pick little man up from the nursery to see if he had pooped (of course he had to of, right? Wrong!) so after lunch with my family, we came home and knew he had to go so bad - sat him on the potty and I know this is going to be shocking to read but he actually WENT!!! I couldn't believe it...we called everyone to tell them. It's so funny how your mood can change over that! Then my only thought went to "now what?" So I just had a little talk with him that "you know what are doing now...when you feel that feeling, you need to sit on the potty!" (Make no mistake though, we've done all this before!)
After nap, he woke up and went outside to play and the first second he was by himself....he pooped his pants. wow. just wow. I got nothing else.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28
Christy....he went! That is a victory!!!Cling to it. I'm so glad you updated, and I'm so sorry for all the stress. This reminds me of the drama of trying to get Molly to take a bottle way back when....ugh.
ReplyDeleteone day . . . . this will be so funny! and embarassing for him, and don't worry . . .we will always help him remember what he has put you through! Even at his rehersal dinner!
ReplyDeletefocus on the positive sweet friend. he WENT! he will go again and this will be a distant memory.
ReplyDeleteyou are doing SUCH a great job. keep it up -- it will be over so soon.