Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sundays





I have such a bad confession to make and it's going to sound horrible! But getting ready for church on Sunday mornings PUTS me in a bad mood!! I know! Isn't that horrible! It shouldn't be that way, right?

It's almost as bad (sometimes) as getting the kids dressed on the weekdays for school but this is worse because the whole time I'm thinking "should we just not go?" I can think of every excuse in the world to not go - Little man has a sinus infection, baby girl has an ear infection, Numero Uno just wants a pj day, we're going to be late anyway, Andy isn't even preaching, it's cold outside, the list goes on and on.

After getting all three kids dressed minus socks, shoes and fixing crazy hair, I jump in the shower and start working on myself. I don't have anything to wear! (another excuse!) At 8 weeks postpartum, me and my closet are still not seeing eye to eye. That's reason enough to be in a bad mood! I lock myself in there and hope no kids find me while I'm trying to find something I feel comfortable in. I settle on some black pants but stare in the mirror and they're just too tight so it's back to the jeans that I've been wearing every day for 8 weeks (it feels that way anyway!) And they are too BIG! UGH!!!

I grab an oatmeal bar to go and a cup of coffee for me and hubby while he's loading the kids in the car. We are running late and I contemplate on putting baby girl in her nursery for the first time. I tried a few weeks ago but they said she was too young!! Alrighty! Am I a horrible mom for even trying to put her in the nursery at 5 weeks? I just think I'll be able to concentrate on the sermon more if she's not in there with me. Well today is the day - she'll be fine right? I hesitate and even try to change my mind as I'm handing her over. The thoughts start running through my mind "she's too young, there are too many babies in here, she's crying, she has an ear infection, she wants her mommy, etc." but I hand her over. Long story short, she actually did do great but I don't know that I DID concentrate any more with her not in there. I kept thinking about her and wondered if our number was about to pop up on the screen. I even half way wished it would pop up on the screen so I could go get her! I leaned over to my husband halfway through the service and said "i miss her."

Needless to say, it is always so nice and rewarding to finally GET there, get a parking space, get the kids in their classrooms, get a seat and sit down to worship with my husband.
Be Still and know that He is God
Be Still and know that He is faithful
Consider all that He has done
Stand in Awe and be amazed
No that he will never change
Be still...
-Steven Curtis Chapman

5 comments:

  1. AMEN to ALL of it sister!!! She looks precious in that dress. You're doing GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't put Molly in the nursery until she was 8 weeks. I put Jackson in at 5! No, you are not a terrible mother! : ) I'm surprised they said she was too young! And seriously, one of the most stressful times of the whole week for me is getting everyone ready for church. I have NO idea why, but it's SO true!!!! I have to do the same thing on the morning Molly goes to preschool, by myself even, but for some reason it just isn't as stressful! bizarre...

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl, do NOT beat yourself up about sundays. my mother-in-law always talks about how she HATED sundays...it threw them off their schedule, they didn't get good naps, etc. & half the time it made everyone MORE grumpy come monday.

    and...true confession...we skipped yesterday (after we had baby dedication orientation) b/c andy wasn't speaking. we planned a little family day up to dahlonega & just enjoyed being the 3 of us. and you know what? i think that's ok too... :-)

    thanks for being so real, girl - even though we're just getting to know each other, i really appreciate your honesty in your struggles & your joys! it's inspiring! see you tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there! do not give it a second thought girlfriend. Satan LOVES to get us when we are going to worship ... perfect time for him to show up and ruin it all. biggest fights on the way to church - to ruin our time worshipping God.

    she is beautiful. i am looking forward to when i can just hold her and feed her.

    miss you.
    xo
    HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. sunday mornings are totally crazy at our house. on weekday mornings all my girls leave for school at staggard (did i spell that correctly?) times & i'm usually only throwing on some running shorts, plus dan is long gone.
    sunday morninigs four of us need the flat iron, one needs a little help with her choice of ensemble, everyone in the kitchen at the same time (eating the hot breakfast i've prepared-HA) & then cramming into the car to listen to worship music, not the usual trash...sigh, just wait til she's wanting to borrow your pumps, your purse, & your hairbrush....then it gets really fun--smile!!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete